[Sca-cooks] Tonight on the Food Network - Biblical Foods

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 13:13:04 PST 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> Also sprach Yehoshua ben Haym:
> >The reason that kosher wines tend to be very
> sweet is that the grapes were
> >being grown in New York.
>
> Uh, I think we need a little more information
> on this. I'm kind of
> assuming you're speaking of Concorde grape
> wines, which are almost
> invariably sweet, and which are made from
> grapes frequently grown in
> New York, but it's perfectly possible (at least
> in theory) to make a
> dry wine from Concorde grapes. Certainly yeast
> strains exist that can
> handle the sugar load.

Manishevitz makes a dry Concord wine.  At my
local supermarket, I can get Manishevitz Concord
wine, dry Concord wine, cherry wine and
blackberry wine.

Mogen David wines are also from New York and they
also produce the same four kinds of wine,
although I think their regular Concord is less
sweet than Manishevitz.

Now you may be asking why a shiksah like me knows
about kosher wines. Well, they also make the best
wines to use for communion.  The sweet Concord
are universally liked and its flavor lasts a long
time after opening a bottle, unlike regular
drinking wines.

> I always assumed this was a stylistic choice.
> Are Kosher wines in
> Europe and elsewhere generally dry? I thought
> vintners like
> Manischewitz are imitating European wines like
> Malaga and Muscatel.
> Is it just that these styles are best suited to
> the Concorde grape?
> If so, have Kosher wines made in California any
> different?

You know, I know of no Californian wine
specifically made as a kosher wine.  Manishevitz
and Mogen David are from New York.  I have seen
another, which I believe calls itself Kaddish and
is from Israel.  But I don't believe Concord
grapes grow as well here in California, which may
be why.  I am speculating here.  I know that
there are Jewish winemakers here in California,
but they don't seem to be competing for the
kosher wine trade.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.