[Sca-cooks] Tonight on the Food Network - Biblical Foods

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 08:56:05 PST 2004

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>You know, I know of no Californian wine
>specifically made as a kosher wine.  Manishevitz
>and Mogen David are from New York.  I have seen
>another, which I believe calls itself Kaddish and
>is from Israel.  But I don't believe Concord
>grapes grow as well here in California, which may
>be why.  I am speculating here.  I know that
>there are Jewish winemakers here in California,
>but they don't seem to be competing for the
>kosher wine trade.
>
>Huette

A lot of Kosher wine is going on in the Napa Valley already, some of it
made by names you know such as Korbel as well as more obviously Jewish
operations like Hagafen [a familiar word to any kid who has said the
prayer over the "fruit of the vine"]

Kosher comes closer...

http://www.californiacoastalwines.com/stories/index.cfm?action=full_text&STORY_ID=88

Royal Wine Corp.'s Herzog Wine Cellars Winery is moving to their own
facility in Oxnard this year, having rented space in Santa Maria for the
past five years.  The tasting room and kosher catering kitchen should be
operating by the end of this year, with the first vintage ready by 2005.