[Sca-cooks] What would you do?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 6 05:02:34 PDT 2004

I think that ethically and legally, the smaller group should pay the cook's
bill even if they take a loss.  The structure is that of a verbal contract
and verbal subcontract with the middleman largely responsible for completing
both ends of the deal.  If the parties can't negotiate an agreement, there
is always small claims court (and a wonderful opportunity for 15 minutes of
fame on afternoon court TV).

More practically, whoever budgeted the feast should have foreseen this
possibility and budgeted for the worst case (highest prices and smaller than
expected turn out).  It is always better to turn profit or break even than
to take a loss.  If the cook was not responsible for the menu and the
budgeting, then the loss definitely should not come out of the cook's
pocket.

Menu and budget should be in writing and authorized for reimbursement before
any purchasing starts.  The treasurer of the small group should have payed
the cook on presentation of the reciepts.  The treasurer of the large group
should have paid the treasurer of the small group on presentation of the
reciepts and statement of account.  If the small group could not handle the
situation financially, then they should not have been involved.

Bear