[Sca-cooks] What would you do?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 6 05:29:00 PDT 2004

I'm afraid I lay this at the doorstep of the autocrat. If I am not given
money well in advance of the event (at least a week), I keep after the
autocrat. I also usually make it very clear to the autocrat that I must
have the money early enough to do shopping and pre-cook. This is
especially true this year as I don't have the money to front the event.

If, despite all efforts to the contrary, this happened, I would go ahead
and purchase what I needed where I could. In my mind, this would negate
any agreement about what I would spend per head...having to do all of
the shopping at the last minute would make it so that you couldn't
negotiate lower prices on much of what was to be used. I would also
require that the autocrat and anyone else she/he could muster show up at
my house for a precook that night...and that there would be LOTS of
kitchen help during the day. I might also insist that the autocrat help
with shopping.

I did find myself in a similar situation once a long time ago. We
received a phone call from the autocrat of an event to be held about 5
hours from where we lived...on Wednesday before the event. She asked us
to help in the kitchen...bring our knives and aprons along. This was the
Investiture of a new Barony, so was very important. The ladies who were
to cook the event had looked in magazines at pictures, found some they
liked, purchased the ingredients...then booked on the day of the event.
So four of us were left with a bunch of ingredients, no period recipes,
and an agreement with the school that we couldn't get into the kitchen
until 3:00! We sent my lord out shopping...as he said, "Try finding brie
in Blacksburg, VA!" As I said, this was many years ago. But with a great
deal of imagination and the fact that one of us had a copy of "Dining
with William Shakespeare", we did it. To my mind, this kind of
flexibility is what makes a good SCA cook.

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.