[Sca-cooks] What would you do?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Apr 6 09:56:29 PDT 2004

It's also quite possible to do an elaborate amount of work and actually
cook almost everything in an approved kitchen on the day of the event.
Helewyse
did one of her authentic and very elaborate many dishes per course
Italian feasts based on Scappi
on Saturday. Besides Helewyse there was Master Basilius Phocus, THL
Rachaol McCrieth ,  Margrat,
and Fey Silvermist plus myself. That's 6 people plus Malcolm the local
member who washed dishes
the entire day and then served feast.  We also worked around a lunch
tavern that ran in the same
kitchen until 4 PM.   That menu included beef, pork roast, roast chicken,
Milan style Biscotti, Fresh grapes, olives, green salad,  bread & oil,
onions, carrots, macaroni, rice,
asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, herb tart, cheesecake, sherbet, pears,
dish of snow, layered pastry,
plus numerous sauces and dressings.     The biscotti and chesecakes were
able to be brought in.

The menu is on her website
(http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/TOCfeast.html).

Johnnae llyn Lewis

I agree, sort of. However, if the cook had to work at a regular, modern
job, the day before, this would be impossible. Sometimes, if we hold
down jobs, it's not always possible to take the day before a feast off
from work.

Kiri

a5foil wrote:

Except for horrendously large feasts, it is
actually possible to shop in the morning, preprep in the afternoon and
evening, SLEEP, and get the food out on time. You do need to have a good
staff that works well together and doesn't get upset when you yell.

Cynara