[Sca-cooks] Grain mill question

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 8 10:23:56 PDT 2004

And as I recall  the softer wheats are  lower gluten?  The reason harder
wheats "Improved breadmaking?"

I think, from what I saw in Elizabeth David's book (not in front of me,
don't recall title) that they still use a slightly lower gluten flour in
Europe than we do in America.

I've just found the White Whole Wheat in a store I can get to, and for
unrelated reasons am finally going to be getting back to baking... so I
may be playing with this. Not entirely for SCA purposes... among other
things, I bake with all whole wheat for my own purposes. We'll see if
I'm crazy enough to bolt flour... *G* Don't count on it...

Lower gluten, softer wheat. Hmm... that will benefit from longer slower
rising and sponge techniques? (Pulling out of long disused memory...)
And these methods give more flavor? Lots to play with...

AEllin