[Sca-cooks] Grain mill question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 8 09:12:32 PDT 2004

IIRC, there is some mention of two wheat crops a year in some accounts, but
some sources specify that wheat was a winter crop, so both probably occurred
depending on location, time and circumstance.

Softness or hardness of the wheat is not dependent upon winter or spring
planting, but on the genetics of the plant.  Medieval Europe primarily used
emmer from about the 1st Century to the 7th or 8th Century when it was
supplanted by club wheat.  Spelt, a harder wheat, was also used, but not as
widely as it yeilds less per acre.

Medieval wheats were relatively soft.  The hard wheats that improved
breadmaking are largely modern hybrids.

In general, white and yellow wheats are soft and reds are hard (with some
natural exceptions to the rule), but even that generalization is changing
due to modern hybridization.

As I recall, the King Arthur white wheat is relatively soft and makes a good
substitute for Medieval wheat.

Bear