[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 8 13:17:24 PDT 2004

Gunthar wrote:

> Well, this really isn't about me, per se. Just that I notice it is
> perfectly acceptable on fighting boards to discuss what is
> needed for knighthood but it is considered pushy to discuss
> the same things for the other Peerages.

Funny, isn't it?  Well I challenged one of the cooking Laurels here to
single combat with Iron Chef 2 years ago.  I didn't win.  But how many
fighters beat the first Knight they challenge either?

> I just found it surprising to be told that only competitions mattered
> as the same as someone aspiring to the Chivalry who never
> entered a tournament would not be considered either.

That sounds very... Ansteorran.    By which I mean that Texans are known
to be quite competitive so we shouldn't be surprised to see that quality
manifested in this way in the Texas SCA.

I think their reasoning is completely spurious.  Maybe you should set up
some cook-offs so your kingdom's food artists will have as much
opportunities as everyone else.  Every tailor and seamstress gets to
have their works seen by everyone at every event.  Do you mean to tell
me that ONLY contest winners have been considered for costuming Laurels?
 I'd guess not.

> I also don't want it to become a Rialto-style rant board about
> how unfair non-Laurels have been treated. I truly want to know
> from the Laurels and apprentices on this board what they look
> for in the Peerage.
>
> Gunthar

I'm a Pelican only, but do hold a Grant-level kingdom arts award for my
work in cookery, plus a crescent/silver spoon, etc.  So I think I can
talk, as can the inestimable Anahita and anyone else here really!

Selene Colfox, Caid