[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 13:34:54 PDT 2004

>Maybe you should set up some cook-offs so your kingdom's food artists will
>have as much opportunities as everyone else.

I've done cook-offs, and even enjoyed them, but still feel that
you demonstrate your skill in cookery everytime you serve a
meal. And, unlike costuming or armor or needlework, you can't
just toss out some past work to be judged. A cook lives only
by his last meal and the reputation earned for that.

An embroidered pouch and its documentation is just as fresh at
the end of the day as at the beginning. A perfectly prepared
period dish rarely has that advantage. That's why the last thing
I do when judging food competitions is taste the food. The
work and study that have gone into the presentation of the
dish is more important. Although being able to cook it decently
also is very important.

>Every tailor and seamstress gets to have their works seen by everyone at
>every event.  Do you mean to tell me that ONLY contest winners have been
>considered for costuming Laurels? I'd guess not.

I don't think that was really the point they meant. What they were
saying was that the Laurels don't have a reason to discuss your effort
unless they are having a meeting and discussing the projects entered.
And if you have won A&S competitions that is definately something
solid they can use when discussing ability. Just like it's easy to tell who
the better fighter is by the fact that one is standing at the end of
the fight.

I feel a cook puts his or her abilities on the line every time they put a
dish in front of someone. And the memories of that meal, good or bad,
determine the skill.

>So I think I can talk, as can the inestimable Anahita and anyone else here
>really!

Anyone on this list can offer thier opinions. That's what it is for. And it
may be an eye-opener for those on high to know what the general
populace feels should be looked at.

>Selene Colfox, Caid

Gunthar