[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 8 14:50:14 PDT 2004

Also sprach Michael Gunter:
>>Make it look easy. This is less a matter of skill (although it
>>certainly helps) than one of remaining calm in the face of
>>adversity or emergency.
>
>True. Although getting the food out on time is a higher priority
>than looking like the world is falling apart as you do it.
>
>But, as in fighting, style points count.

Surely. But just to clarify, What I mean is that if the world _is_
falling apart, part of the measure of how successful the cooks have
been is the extent to which it looks like it's falling apart on the
other side of the feast-hall door. If, when you say, in your best
Pee-Wee Herman voice, "I meant to do that," it is believed and
accepted, that's part of the measure of good crisis management. And
since the SCA is not, strictly speaking, made up of food-service
professionals, we occasionally have more than out fair share of
problems. (Not a criticism of the typical SCA skillset, just an
observation of the reasonable expectations one can have on people
getting paid versus not getting paid.)

>One of the main goals of a laurel (IMO) is to be a
>>poster child for your art form, and set an example to the populace.
>>Essentially, to make them say, "that is so cool, I want to learn to
>>do that."
>
>Definately. One of my thoughts on a Laurel is that is a person
>that people go to when they have a question about a certain art.
>
>>Be approachable and user-friendly; remember that the tongue can be
>>a deadly weapon, and try to consider the possible ramifications of
>>what you say before you say it.
>
>Heh. I've seen several candidates for all areas of the Peerage get shot
>down by Crowns with, "We have no doubt of this person's abilities.
>But we aren't going to be the ones who reward their attitude."
>
>>Exercise some leadership in the community of your fellow-artisans.
>>Sometimes this can mean knowing when to keep your mouth shut as
>>much as knowing when to speak, and what to say.
>
>Oops! Okay, I know why I'll never get one now.  :-D

We may mean different things when I refer to keeping one's mouth shut
(something I'm often not very good at, either): essentially I meant
that sometimes it's best to simply let someone make a mistake, even
when you know it's not the best course of action... ever read C.S.
Lewis on the experienced versus the inexperienced experience?
Essentially, a picture is worth a thousand words, but a scorched
batch of onions that needs to be redone can sometimes be worth a
thousand pictures...

>>But if this all comes down to, do I think you need to compete, the
>>answer is no.
>
>As usual, a wonderful response from a true Laurel.

Awwwww, gawrsh, Mickey!

A.