[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 13:25:35 PDT 2004

>the Expo or interactive display, essentially a trade show with artisans
>working at their craft and responding to questions from passersby. While
>not a Laurel's Prize Tourney, these Expos tend to get a lot of Laurels
>participating on various levels.

This is what I have always considered a feast or buffet to be.
The same goes for the "tourney" argument.
The tournament is a stess-test of your abilities. A person can be a
great fighter, totally chivalrous and perfect with blow calling in
fighter practice. But that same fighter can suddenly be in the
Finals of a tournament and the prize becomes more important
than anything else.

The same goes for how someone does a feast. They can be
a big source of documentation, a constant critic of food and
feasts and present wonderful dishes at a structured A&S competition.
But their feasts consistantly suck.
But another person does great feasts who never tries to do anything
period.

I feel both of them are lacking in the Laurel department.

>So. What would I have as requirements for a Laurel in cookery (bearing in
>mind that some kingdoms may still not specify art form)?

My idea about whether cookery is an art or a service is basically in
how it is presented. If it teaches folk about period food and dining
as well as makes a real attempt at period food then it is an art.
Serving good simple food to the masses is a service.

As far as whether cooking is an art or a science is quite simple.
A science is something that can be exactly reproduced by following
the same process time after time and be agreed upon by all observers.
An art is something that can be experienced by 100 people and each
person has a differing perspective.

>Impact on an area equal to or larger larger than your local group -- the
>people who make these decisions need, essentially, to consider where the
>art is with you versus where it'd be without you. This can be done with
>feast work, but teaching, publishing in SCA venues, workshops, etc., are
>all valuable for getting your message across, whatever that may be.

Agreed.

>Make it look easy. This is less a matter of skill (although it certainly
>helps) than one of remaining calm in the face of adversity or emergency.

True. Although getting the food out on time is a higher priority
than looking like the world is falling apart as you do it.

But, as in fighting, style points count.

One of the main goals of a laurel (IMO) is to be a
>poster child for your art form, and set an example to the populace.
>Essentially, to make them say, "that is so cool, I want to learn to do
>that."

Definately. One of my thoughts on a Laurel is that is a person
that people go to when they have a question about a certain art.

>Be approachable and user-friendly; remember that the tongue can be a deadly
>weapon, and try to consider the possible ramifications of what you say
>before you say it.

Heh. I've seen several candidates for all areas of the Peerage get shot
down by Crowns with, "We have no doubt of this person's abilities.
But we aren't going to be the ones who reward their attitude."

>Exercise some leadership in the community of your fellow-artisans.
>Sometimes this can mean knowing when to keep your mouth shut as much as
>knowing when to speak, and what to say.

Oops! Okay, I know why I'll never get one now.  :-D

>But if this all comes down to, do I think you need to compete, the answer
>is no.

As usual, a wonderful response from a true Laurel.

>Adamantius

Gunthar