[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 15:11:40 PDT 2004

In a message dated 4/8/04 3:09:24 PM, countgunthar at hotmail.com writes:

> So....what do you consider the requirements are for a Laurel?
>
> Gunthar

Gunter, I so feel for you.... I hate competitions too....and   I have to
admit I recently gave up the idea of ever becoming a peer. No matter how I reached
for the gold ring that some pushed me to, I'd meet the expectation and they
would add another hurdle I needed to overcome.

After 24 years of service (multiple "period" feasts by my hand, cooking
classes taught by me, a kingdom level office <which I thoroughly love>, having held
every office except for exchequer, and involvement in the cooking arts
without being noticed), I figure I'll never be what they want me to be, so why
bother trying. I know I am a good person, I love to share what I know and I like
what I do. I'm a research junkie and more than willing to pass on the info I
find.

Two years ago I decided to play my way, and I got involved with starting
another Living History Group   this past month (Nieuw Nederlandt )to satisfy my
needs in the arts as well--- without the hassles of measuring up to such very
high standards. I dove deeper into the "periodness" of the event and I think
this is why I am no longer noticed at all. I'm too busy to play politics anymore.

It seems as this New LH group begins to flourish, I'll eventually leave the
SCA (We've been offered some paying acting gigs). My lord left the SCA for
exactly the same reasons, and I have to admit I'm begining to feel he's right. I'm
reevaluating   my position at the end of my term of office this next year, to
see if whether I want to stay anymore.

I wish I could be more hopeful for you, but you need to do what you like and
have fun and let go of the comets tail....

Andrea
"hit the wall one too many times"

"Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in
it."
Julia Child