[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Apr 8 17:02:43 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> After 24 years of service (multiple "period" feasts by my hand, cooking
> classes taught by me, a kingdom level office <which I thoroughly love>,
having held
> every office except for exchequer, and involvement in the cooking arts
> without being noticed), I figure I'll never be what they want me to be, so
why
> bother trying. I know I am a good person, I love to share what I know and
I like
> what I do. I'm a research junkie and more than willing to pass on the info
> find.
>
> Andrea
> "hit the wall one too many times"

When we were over at Brighid's, we were talking about awards, and I had
mentioned that I wanted to avoid them, and Jadwiga asked my why. The subject
changed, but statements like this tend to exemplify my reasoning.

I have come to the conclusion that awards, while initially intended to be a
good thing, a way to say to people, "Good job!!" for playing the game well,
have become a matter of disatisfaction among many who, for whatever reason,
haven't acquired the awards. I have gotten to the point, where, unless there
are certain circumstances beyond my control, I intend to refuse any others I
may be offered.

We see someone like Andrea, who has done many good things for the SCA and
the EK, but yet hasn't gotten her desired award.

Was talking to someone else on this List, from another Kingdom, about
someone else who suddenly blew up and left SCA because this person didn't
get an award they felt they deserved- and in blowing up, attempted to
destroy some of the things they built while they were striving.

I don't know how many other people I've heard bitching because they didn't
get this or that cookie- it's endemic.

And it's ridiculous.

People, if you aren't doing what you're doing because you enjoy doing it,
then DON'T DO IT!!! Do something else, that you DO enjoy. There's no reason
whatsoever that you need to be toeing some vague line, so that you, too, can
become a member of the Order of the Purpure Pumpernickelle, if what you're
doing isn't pleasing to you. Hey, I've lived happily for 50 years without
being a member of the Sacred Ordure of the Golden Tiddlywinke, and I'm
betting I can cheerfully go another 50 years without it ;-)

Gunthar- did you cook all those feasts and do your research, and set up this
List, so you could get an award? Or did you do it because you enjoyed doing
what you were doing? If you enjoyed what you were doing, if doing it gave
you satisfaction, who CARES what bit of embroidered linen, or dangly you can
wear? YOU ALREADY WON!!!!!

And, those of you who are out there, learning and enjoying yourselves,
you've already won, too.

Remember, all, life is a long journey, so you might just as well relax and
enjoy the scenery. After all, when you're at the end, you're dead.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.