[Sca-cooks] Mistakes to Avoid when cooking salmon

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Fri Apr 9 02:06:11 PDT 2004

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:23:05 -0700, Lorenz Wieland
<lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net> wrote :

> Which Rumpolt recipe is this?

Vom Salm 12

> It sounds like you're talking about a fairly traditional poached salmon
> dish.  In that case, you want to cook it in water just under a true
> simmer (~160-170F), and you definitely want to use either a fish poacher
> or wrap the fish in cheesecloth so it doesn't fall apart when removing
> it from the water.  8 to 10 minutes should be about right for a whole
> cojo, sockeye, or steelheadrew.  A large King salmon might take a bit
> longer.  If cooking the fish whole, you should take it out before it
> starts to flake and immediately drop it in cold water or the cool pease
> broth.  Salmon is a fairly forgiving fish, but does turn very dry very
> quickly when overcooked.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I was also told you can't get carp
wrong, and I sure managed

The cheesecloth is a good idea. I won't have a fish-sized pot, so I'll have
to roll up the beasty.

> If you're playing around with it, you might try adding some lemon
> slices, onions, black pepper, and/or wine to the poaching liquid.
> That's a traditional preparation that may not go all the way back to
> Rumpolt, but probably isn't too far off.

There is a recipe involving lemons, but that requires the whole fish. Mine
are minus the head. Pepper certainly goes on.

Thanks

Giano