[Sca-cooks] alternatives to A&S competitions

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 15:05:41 PDT 2004

And you never know who you might reach...

When I was pretty new to this, someone arranged for me to get to one of
these exhibitions. It was more or less the first thing I'd been to.

The first person I stopped to talk to was weaving. I've woven for years,
so we got into a discussion of selvedges and tension...  She was also
spinning linen, which fascinated me, and I have studied it with her since.

The second was card weaving. I'd heard of this, but had never really
seen it, and had never quite understood it from the description. We got
into a long conversation , found we had several interests in common -
Brekke.

At another point, I was talking with the few people there I knew, when
this Fred Flintstone type wandered in from outside, where he'd been
cooking ...   I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't recognize him the
next time I saw him (I'd met a lot of people that day) but Adamantius
knew me...

If things had just been out on a table, even with excellent
documentation, I would not have learned nearly as much, and I would not
have met three people who have influenced me. (Well... OK, I would have
met all three within the next few months - I did - but I would not have
had the same mental connection with their work. I met them in contexts
where I did not actually see what they were doing.)

Next week, I'll be on the other side of the table. See what that feels
like.

AEllin