[Sca-cooks] Lebkuchen was EK Coronation feast analysis

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 16:51:43 PDT 2004

On 9 Apr 2004, at 16:18, nickiandme at att.net wrote:

> I thought lebkuchen was supposed to end up as a intensely flavored taffy like
> item. In the case of recipe 151 I thought it referred to the flour made of the
> ground spices rather than actual flour.

This is the recipe I used.  I don't think that "flour" can refer to the ground
spices, since there is supposed to be almost a third of a quart of flour to one
quart of honey.

[snip]
> I'd like to know the proportions you used on the ingredients to get cookies out
> of it.

I used the quantities below, and I did not get cookies out of it.  We ended up
adding breadcrumbs, just to get something firm enough to be picked up.

> Kateryn de Develyn
> recipes referred to follow.
>
> 151 To bake good Lebkuchen
>
> Take first a pound of sugar, a quart of clear honey, not quite a third quart of
> flour, take two and a half ounces of cinnamon, one and a half ounces of cloves,
> two ounces of cardamom. Cut the other spices as small as possible, the cinnamon
> sticks are ground as coarsely as possible. Also put ginger therein and put the
> sugar into the honey, let it cook together, put the flour in a trough, pour the
> cardamom into it first, afterwards the ginger and the other spices.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net