[Sca-cooks] Verjus

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Fri Apr 9 21:00:17 PDT 2004

My brother has a small experimental vineyard on the Oregon coast.  His wines
are very drinkable, but since he doesn't want to mess with the ATF and
licenses, he can only make the amount for himself and his wife, and he can't
sell that.  A mildly expensive hobby.  I keep after him to make verjuice,
which he could sell since it is non-alcoholic, but we can't seem to get
instructions for when you pick the unripe grapes and what you do with them
after (vat, bottle).

Truth probably is that he enjoys making wine, but he got over 500 gallons of
juice out of the little plot and that's a lot of specialized grape juice.

Wonder when the wineries go out and pick for verjuice.  How big are the
grapes?  Since it was used all year around, how do you store it? Any spies
out there?  I'll supply you with verjuice if we can easily figure it out.

Regina Romsey