[Sca-cooks] Sugar Cane

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 9 21:03:24 PDT 2004

  Elewyiss asked:
> Howdy everybody. As I plan Olwen's AoA scroll I need a little
> information. Is sugar cane period? If not did they use anything else
> besides Honey as a sweetner?
Like many things the answer to this very much depends upon where and
when you are speaking about in period. Some cultures used fruits, as
well as grape must and honey as sweeteners.
For much past commentary on this subject, see these files in the
FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:
honey-msg          (9K)  2/26/02    Period use of honey. Honey sources.
sugar-msg        (112K)  3/25/04    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
sugar-sources-msg (16K)  6/13/01    Modern sugar sources. Sugar types.

There are also a number of files in this same section detailing the
various things they did with sugar, usually late in period.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com