[Sca-cooks] Verjus

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Sat Apr 10 12:44:36 PDT 2004

While we're talking about verjus...

I'm working on my new garden plans--there's a useless strip of dirt next
to the driveway that I have determined will make a lovely raised-bed
garden. If my neighbor doesn't have a problem with me using his fence as a
trellis, I want to put in a grapevine or two.

Does anybody have any input on what sort of grapes make the best verjus?
According to the info at Raintree Nursery (www.raintreenursery.com) there
are a number of possibilities, but most, if not all, of the standard wine
grapes aren't hardy enough to handle Minnesota winters, so I'm limited to
some newer hybrids and some Concord-type grapes if I want to make my own
verjus.

I suppose this is mostly a question for Akim, but I can't be the only one
contemplating grapevines.

Thanks!

Margaret (who is also contemplating cherries and apples, but those are
easier!)