[Sca-cooks] Verjus

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Sat Apr 10 22:31:51 PDT 2004

Wanda Pease wrote:

>I have a Thompson seedless grape in the back yard, originally planted in
>about 1945.  I tried picking the grapes and mashing them in a conical sieve
>then letting the juice drip and putting it into a freshly scalded crock
>which was allowed to sit in a cool place for a couple of weeks.  It didn't
>seem to ferment much, but it did mold.  Next batch went into the crock for a
>couple of days with scalded cheese cloth over the top, then into the fridge.
>Was tasty and tart.  I'll have to get a bottle of the labeled stuff to see
>if they are anything alike.
>
>Regina

My understanding is wild yeast (and possibly other microbes) are on the
grape skin, that they are the white bloom coating on grapes. Basically,
breaking the skin starts fermentation. And grape juice as just the right
amount of sugars, pH level, and nutrients for yeast to live on (a
co-evolution). On an interesting corallary, for matzo to be kosher for
Pesach/Passover, they have to be baked withing 18 minutes of contact
with the water. Otherwise, they could be leavened naturally (and
therefore not kosher for Pesach), which might give you an idea of how
fast natural fermentation can start.

If the grapes are tart enough, the pH may be too low for the bacteria to
survive, thus cancelling any need to clean the grapes before crushing.
For comparison, household wine vinegar is pH 2, along with lemon juice.
More than orange juice (ph 3), less than stomach acid. The pH of wine
must (grape juice) is supposed to be around 3-4. From orange juice to
tomato juice.

On the other hand, yeast is far more tolerant to acid levels and will
ferment at pH lower than 3.5. I don't know how low yeast can go. Dry
sherry can start as low as 2.7.

As far as when to pick grapes for verjuis, usually wineries pick and
crush for wine in October, maybe late September, depending on the local
climate and that particular season. I would say early August to early
September. Mostly a guess. You might want to step out once a week to the
vine and check.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at jeffnet.org
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)