[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

eirenetz at comcast.net eirenetz at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 11:18:07 PDT 2004

> > So....what do you consider the requirements are for a Laurel?
> >
> > Gunthar
>
> The answer you'll get will likely vary from kingdom to kingdom, I'm afraid.

I would hope not, but I know that this is functionally the case. Our Peers are Peers of the Society, rather than of any particular kingdom. Unlike the AoA or GoA-level awards, a Laurel is a Laurel in every kingdom. The same "requirements" should apply, although the interpretation of the reqs are subjective and will necessarily vary from Circle to Circle and Crown to Crown.

> In the Middle Kingdom, you only need to be liked by the Crown. The crown
> will consult, but doesn't have to listen to any dissent from the Laurel
> members, or any peerage order.

It is true that in most kingdoms, pollings of the orders are considered to be advice to the Crown, rather than the direction of the Circle. The Crown may choose to do as They see fit in offering peerages or not. However, I choose to believe (because if I didn't, my naive faith in the system would collapse) that there's more to it than "the Crown doesn't like me" or "the Laurels don't like me". For instance, it would be a very unwise Crown who made a peer over the objections of the Circle. After all, these people will probably have to live within the Society after the deed is done. It is a disservice to the candidate in that any award - AoA, GoA, or peerage - without the respect of ones' peers (that's a lower-case "p") is hollow and might create derision for the new member of the order. Therefore, I really do think that the system works well most of the time.

Eirene
with apologies for being five days behind in replying to the list