[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

eirenetz at comcast.net eirenetz at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 11:47:14 PDT 2004

I, too have heard that those who make a living (or at least support their SCA habit) with the proceeds of their craft won't get a Laurel - that somehow selling the goods cheapens the skills and PLQs. I don't think that merchants should be necessarily disqualified from consideration. However, if they're only trying to make a buck, that's not enough. Are the things they're making and selling documentably period? Are they quality? Does the person teach about the stuff they're making and selling? Are there indications that the person is dedicated to something - like enhancing some aspect of the Society with the merchandise - other than making a buck? Is there evidence of PLQs?

There should be so much more to the discussion than, "Lord Jim sells his armor, thus he can't be elevated for it."

Eirene
<snip>