Re: [Sca-cooks] Information and History of Cannelés

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 11:51:07 PDT 2004

> Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>
>> Hullo Emma!
>>
>> I've never heard of these.  They sound cognate to Italian Cannolis
>> somehow.  Sounds yummy!
>>
>> Selene Colfox, Caid
>

> I could be wrong, but I suspect that they're actually named for the
> channelled mold (Emma described it as crown-shaped) they're
> traditionally baked in. It's a little fluted copper cup. I did a Web
> search and found a page in French advertising the molds, which, when
> translated by Google, said something about channelled molds from
> Bordeaux. I at first scoffed at this, figuring, "another bad computer
> translation," but when I looked more closely, that's exactly what they
> were...

I'm not sure the two ideas above are contradictory, especially if
canneles do indeed go back to the 14th century, as claimed (is there any
documentation on this?).  "Cannoli" could very well be a corruption of
"cannele."  There's certainly abundant evidence of various food items
and terms crossing back and forth between southern France and northern
Italy over the last thousand years or so...

-Lorenz