[Sca-cooks] Information and His tory of Cannelés

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Apr 13 12:08:24 PDT 2004

Also sprach Lorenz Wieland:

>I'm not sure the two ideas above are contradictory, especially if
>canneles do indeed go back to the 14th century, as claimed (is there
>any documentation on this?).  "Cannoli" could very well be a
>corruption of "cannele."  There's certainly abundant evidence of
>various food items and terms crossing back and forth between
>southern France and northern Italy over the last thousand years or
>so...
>
>-Lorenz

It's possible, but pretty basic Occam's Razor thinking suggests
cannole (as well as cannelone) are named for their resemblance to
little reeds (rolled up in tubular fashion as they are). And on the
other side of the coin, we have cannele (which might also have
something to do with cinnamon, judging from the name), which aren't
rolled in tubes. What you suggest had occurred to me, but one look at
the molds makes it pretty likely these are different animals with a
coincidental similarity of names.

Adamantius