Re: [Sca-cooks] Information and His tory of Cannelés

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Apr 14 06:31:52 PDT 2004

Cannelés----
I actually own the W-S's version of this pan too. Bought a set last year.
I checked Culinaria France since Master A. already checked Larousse G.
They are not listed there either. My one encyclopedia of French pastries
is boxed or I would look there. They aren't in Wheaton.
I have done the librarian thing and looked at several sites and
dictionaries.
The one BBC site characterizes them as
"Sweet treats include cannelés (caramelised brioche-style pastries) "
which seems a better description to me and suggests that they originated
from the rich brioche sphere of pastries.
As regards--- recipes no problem there. The web is full of them.
http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/1307/Recipes.cfm
Since the recipe as given in the website contains vanilla this is
not the one the nuns made in the early 14th century.
I'll keep on looking but something suggest to me that they are 18th century
or later.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Greetings,snipped
I already have several modern recipes on cannelés.
I have been searching for more information about Cannelés, they have
crunchy outsides, soft insides (kind of like custard), and are crown
shaped, but they are not like anything I've ever had before.  I only know
that they are from the Bourdeaux Region of France and date to about the
14th century.  Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Much Thanks,
Emma Dandelion