[Sca-cooks] Completely OT question for the New Yorkers amongst us....

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 14 17:51:43 PDT 2004

We haven't had any mass renaming that I know of... but that's been done
to some degree for years. I'm curious - where are they? (Maybe we can
discuss this off list...)  9/11 doubled the number of firefighters we've
lost over the years, but we're a big city - we've lost many before now.
(Though the worst single previous loss had been, I think, 16... back in
the late 60s. A floor collapsed, a few blocks from where I lived.)

A lot of our streets sort of have 2 names. The basic, usually a number.
(We have named streets - I live on one - but they're less likely to be
renamed.) And another, often just for a block or two, that's a tribute
to someone or something. And one of New York's Bravest killed in the
line of duty would certainly be considered for such a tribute. It's
probably in the neighborhood he grew up in... though it could be near
the fire. I think most that I've noticed named for firefighters are
these double names... We tend, to be honest, as creatures of habit to
continue to use the old names... but there's a nice sign. (Sixth Avenue
was renamed Avenue of the Americas - oh, I don't know, long before I was
born. No New Yorker has ever called it that. We've been confusing
visitors for decades. A few years ago, the city gave up, and added signs
saying Sixth Avenue below the ones saying Avenue of the Americas... )

AEllin