[Sca-cooks] Completely OT question for the New Yorkers amongst us....

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Apr 14 19:41:46 PDT 2004

Also sprach AEllin Olafs dotter:
>(Sixth Avenue was renamed Avenue of the Americas - oh, I don't know,
>long before I was born. No New Yorker has ever called it that. We've
>been confusing visitors for decades. A few years ago, the city gave
>up, and added signs saying Sixth Avenue below the ones saying Avenue
>of the Americas... )

What she said. The only more obvious sign of not-being-a-local than
referring to Sixth Avenue by that foolish name is referring to
Seventh Avenue in Midtown South [of 42nd St] as Fashion Avenue.

It occurs to me that the only streets named after firefighters that
I'm aware of (and this is by no means an empirical statement of fact,
just from within my own experience) are squares (basically small
triangles and other shapes marked by the convergence of close-by
streets). These are often little urban parks, with a few trees, a
bench or two, a little garden. I gather these little squares are
sometimes "adopted" (i.e. their maintenance is paid for) by a
firehouse crew or the union, in honor of a fallen comrade.

But there may be actual streets that I'm not aware of. New York is a big city.

Adamantius