[Sca-cooks] merchants as Laurels

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 15 10:05:29 PDT 2004

A similar, though not identical issue I've heard commented on is the
situation of the professional performing artist. People who do indeed
make their living (and usually a just scratch by one) performing and
perhaps teaching. They then have to think long and hard about how much
of their livelihood they can afford to do for free - especially when it
is to the same somewhat limited audience. Most, from what I understand,
will perform - though if musicians also sell recordings I've seen that
denigrated - "He just wants us to buy his tape" rather than "Gee! He'd
usually be paid $200 for that, and he didn't charge us anything!"  (Most
people do know better than that - but the attitude does exist.) But most
who teach professionally will not, logically enough, teach for free just
because it's the SCA. Teaching is the bread and butter that gets them
through the slow seasons. But teaching, also logically, is one of the
most basic requirements we have. You teach me, and then I'll go teach
someone else... (In this case, I'm not thinking of anyone specifically -
these are unrelated comments I've heard from and about various
people...)  I think we need to find some kind of compromise - and
perhaps on an individual basis. "You can't teach the instrument, perhaps
you can teach theory, or history? You can't teach theory, perhaps you
can teach vocal projection?" And then give due credit for the one class
or track they can find...

Now, the flip side of all this was a conversation I had with someone who
thought another person should be laureled *because* she makes her living
as a merchant. Therefore, she must be good enough... except that the
work she does professionally does indeed take the shortcuts that she
needs to earn more than about 50 cents per hour at the price people are
able/willing to pay... I certainly don't blame her for that, as a
merchant - but just as I think that doesn't disqualify her for
consideration, it certainly doesn't qualify her for it, either. I've
encountered her in a non-SCA context, I know she is both skilled and
knowledgeable, and I'd really like to see what she could do without the
press of limited time and money...  I haven't seen that, others may
have, I don't know her at all well, so am not judging.

Personally, I've made a conscious choice to avoid the entire issue by
*not* really practicing my professional art within the SCA. This is
basically because, while I enjoy the design, I do not much enjoy the
production - which is what I'd have to do. It's hard to get away from
it, though... people know you can do something, and they expect you to
do it. I expect to get paid for it... and I'm not going to get into that
issue in the SCA. It's still always at the back of my mind, though...

AEllin