[Sca-cooks] Mirepoix

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 15 19:19:42 PDT 2004

Also sprach Carper, Rachel:
>That's what I was afraid of. From what I have seen of most period
>recipes they don't worry about straining out the little bits.

Well, that's true, generally, but this begs the question, "What little bits?"

It seems to be generally applicable that period recipes (even stews)
don't tend to have anything so frivolous as a dice of mixed aromatic
vegetables that are only going to be thrown away.

There are lots of cases of shredded onions added to such dishes, and
at least one pottage in Markham, who is quite late period
(technically post-period, but he recycled a lot of his stuff from
before 1600) which involves pounding a mixture of fresh herbs and
stirring it into a pottage, the way one might use recaito or a
similar intensely-herb-flavored stuff, at the last minute.

I've found a web site alleging that mirepoix is the creation of the
chef of the Duc de Levis-Mirepoix in 18th-century France. This sounds
about right to me.

Adamantius