[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef

kattratt kattratt at charter.net
Thu Apr 15 20:33:50 PDT 2004

Ok I am going to respond here as I worked on the ground floor of a Sci
Fi Convention Idea/Panel that worked great!!!!

Carper, Rachel wrote:

>1) Have  you participated in one before?
>
>    as cook or host?

I have worked on a panel that was similar twice.  Once as the Chairman
or Host, and secondly as the behind the scenes guy running everything.
 I liked the second one better, but simply because I was in charge of
the technical aspects....

>2) What did you like about it?

The first time I loved the fact that the audience got into it...
Second time I loved the fact that it worked and all of the cues came in
on time.  (Except of course for the Seamstresses... who finished early.
Sheesh)

>3) Dislike?

Didn't have music running the entire time.   I should have seen that
problem.

>4) Should participants be responsible for dating/researching the
>recipes?

Speaking as a cook... in regards to an Iron Chef thing...
Not Neccesarily.... I would award bonus points for that.... But not
necessarily take away points for not being able to provide it.   That
for us is kinda like the whole Wok flipping thing.

>5) Should participants be allowed to bring in their own items?

To an extent.  Allow some personal items but restrict them a bit.  Give
the Iron Whatevers the freedom to bring in some fun items but try
limiting them.

>6) Was the cook off for an entire meal or just one remove/dish?

The sew off was for an entire outfit.

>7) What foods would you suggest?

Any cook should be able to hold their own with any foods.   Sorry.

>8) Who should be judges? Other cooks? Honored guests? Fighters?

Yes Just for fun.

>9) Would  you want to hold it were people could watch and do the whole
>pageantry of the TV show?

Yes

>10) Would individual people or groups be better?  Would  you count
>assistants as a group?

Individual is my answer off the cuff.  and No assistants do not make a
group.  But then I like to be in charge.

>11) Should people bring their own assistants or should they be assigned?

BYOA
Read over the Iron Chef Bits... Notice that they have some heads up
before the event.   When we did the Iron Seamstresses we let them know
ahead of time what the choices of fabrics would be.  The Surprise was
what the audience chose.... Turtle Shell.
Nough said.
Nichola