[Sca-cooks] PDF files

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Fri Apr 16 10:27:27 PDT 2004

> I think there may be a way to prevent the Text Select tool from
> working; I just copied text from a PDF document I had with no
> problem, but when I tried to do the same with the "The
> Thatcher's Craft" booklet, it didn't work.  It looks like they
> have a sort of "read/write protect" default set.  Perhaps they
> are concerned about people copying and re-using without proper
> attribution?

In this case, I think it is because this whole document is actually a series of scanned pictures of pages from a previously published document, so it is all Graphics, and no "Text".

I can copy the graphics and even the text section using the graphics tool without any problems.

The Purpose of the First Amendment is not to protect only
comfortable speech. Such speech needs no protection. It is,
rather, the daring, the profound, the probitive, and yes, the
offensive, that needs that shield.  For nothing significant,
not in art, culture, or even in politics, has ever arisen
from pandering to the whims of majority.