[Sca-cooks] personas and names (was what does C&I mean )

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 17 00:37:13 PDT 2004

Pandora (for now) mentioned:
> Using material from the Florilegium, Miscellany and Helewyse's pages, I
> recently worked up a Renaissance Venetian meal for my mundane Gourmet
> Club
> (a group of 7 including me, so we couldn't have anywhere near the
> range of
> dishes I would've liked to have).
I'm glad the Florilegium was of some use to you for this.
Unfortunately, there is not that much in the Florilegium specifically
on Venice. Could you please post your menu and any comments about your
dinner or how it went?

> I don't know if I have the aspiration  to
> be the head chef of a large feast, but I would certainly like to cook
> for
> smaller groups (household size) or work with a team on a feast. And
> encampment cooking is intriguing as well...
That's okay. I suspect that there are a number of the folks on this
list who have never been the headcook for a feast. I know I certainly
don't have the knowledge or the cooking experience to do this. I have
cooked a luncheon for the Royal Entourage and such things as that and
sideboards are another way to cook for a group without doing the major
feast.

If you will tell us what SCA group you play with and your mundane
location, there may be folks on this list who would love to have to as
a member of their cooking staff the next time they do an event in your
area.
> I am leaning toward Irish, but am also intrigued
> by the idea of doing one of the less-commonly-done times/places (except
> for the frustration of perhaps not having as much good source
> material).
I think that the lack of good source material, or at least good source
material that has been translated into English is one of the reasons
for the large proportion of SCA folks with English and British Isles
personas as well as the huge number of Norse personas. Even such major
areas as France and Germany seem to be neglected because of this. But
it can be done.

Sometimes folks will also develop multiple personas. For instance there
are a large number of folks in Anstoerra (mundanely most of Texas and
all of Oklahoma) who have Middle Eastern personas specifically for the
summer.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas