[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Apr 17 18:25:31 PDT 2004

In a message dated 4/15/2004 10:40:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rachel.carper at hp.com writes:

<<1) Have  you participated in one before?>>

No, and I won't, either.  I intensely dislike event activities that are based
around modern TV shows or concepts of modern entertainments like murder
mystery weekends.  I come to the SCA to be medieval, not to play modern TV game
shows while dressed in funny clothes.  YMMV, of course.

Of course, there's not much point to me answering the remaining questions,
but there are two I do want to stick my nose in on.

  <<4) Should participants be responsible for dating/researching the
recipes? >>

Absolutely.  The only reason for even doing such an activity at an event, to
my mind, is to entice the people who are scared of the word "authentic",
especially as it applies to food, to come and actually learn something about period
food and maybe, since they see it being cooked, learn that it's not really
all that different than modern food.

<<9) Would  you want to hold it were people could watch and do the whole
pageantry of the TV show? >>

Definitely where people can watch or there is no point to the exercise.  As
far as the whole pageantry of the TV show, I'm cringing as I say this, but that
is probably what would bring the people I mentioned above in to watch, so I
guess it should be done.

Brangwayna Morgan