[Sca-cooks] herbs for hanging baskets?

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 18 15:19:57 PDT 2004

How about a variety of thyme, somethine creeping that would hang over the
edges.  They have small leaves, so should look good, although you may want
to plant several plants in a 14-inch basket. You could even go with a couple
of varieties, like lemon thyme and a dwarf creeping variety.
Rosemary likes good drainage, make sure your box can provide that, adding
lots of sand helps.
Hot tub and herbs on a sunny southern porch, gee Stefan, we may have to make
a field trip from the rock over to your house someday soon.  How does your
wife feel about visitors that will cook?
:)
Christianna

I've recently added four 14-inch hanging baskets to our screen porch.
<snip>
I'm looking for something that will serve dual purposes. To look good
in the hanging basket and provide useful culinary or other useful herbs.
<snip>
The hot tub is in the center of the porch,
<snip>
This is on the south side of the house and the baskets could
hang on either the east or west side.
<snip>
I also have two window boxes/raised beds outside the screen porch which
have sprinkler heads attached to the lawn sprinkler system,
<snip>
I have a Rosemary plant which I also bought yesterday which is likely to
go in one of these boxes.

Thanks,
   Stefan