[Sca-cooks] Re: Eiswein

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 09:46:13 PDT 2004

Faerisa wrote:

At one of our Coronets, some of the visitingAmericans_ loaded_ up un
Canadian wines (including Ice Wines) and prayed they wouldn't get
searched at the border!

I am a regular importer of Canadian wines myself.  Having crossed the border many times it is worth mentioning that you should always declare your wine (didn't do it once, wacking great fine, much distress).  The limit if you over in Canada more than 24 hours is 4 bottles per person.  That is 8 bottles of ice wine each (as they are sold in half bottles).  I have frequently brought back as much as a case of regular wine, 2 cases of beer and 4 bottles of ice wine.  In 5 trips of declaring all this at the border I was tagged for payment of duties ONCE.  When I went inside the building once the officer inside had determined how much alcohol I had and how much duty was due he told me to go away.  The 25c/bottle duty (grand total due less than $5) was not worth the hassle of filling out the forms.  So for those crossing the border.  Be honest, it pays, and is much cheaper and easier on the conscience than ever trying to lie.

Helewyse veteran importer and drinker of wonderful canadian ice wine.