[Sca-cooks] Eiswein

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 20 10:20:06 PDT 2004

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>However, just to clarify things.  Lorenz has the
>order of German wines mixed up.

Indeed I did.  For some reason, "auslese" and "kabinett" got turned
around in my head.  Thanks for the correction.  I was also incorrect in
that officially eisweins can only be made from grapes of beerenauslese
or trockenbeerenauslese ripeness, although apparently some producers
still make eiswein from grapes of lesser ripeness (they just can't call
it "eiswein" in Germany; anyone know what term they use instead?).

I'll also return the favor and expand a bit on your list, as you missed
qualitatswein (QbA), which should have been between tafelwein and
kabinett.  The wines from kabinett onwards are categorized as
"qualitatswein mit pradikat" (QmP).

Another weird twist with German wines is that the ripeness over
over-ripeness of the grape isn't always a reliable guide to how sweet
the resulting wine is, unlike vintages from French or American
wineries.  Kabinett, spatlese, and auslese wines can all be made dry
(trocken or classic) or off-dry (halbtrocken or selection), so it's
possible to find auslese wines that are dryer than kabinett wines.

-Lorenz