[Sca-cooks] Eiswein

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 02:26:59 PDT 2004

--- Lorenz Wieland <lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I'll also return the favor and expand a bit on
> your list, as you missed
> qualitatswein (QbA), which should have been
> between tafelwein and
> kabinett.  The wines from kabinett onwards are
> categorized as
> "qualitatswein mit pradikat" (QmP).

> -Lorenz

Actually I didn't miss anything as the adjectives
'taflwein', 'qualitatswein' and 'qualitatswein
mit predikat' are grading levels and not types of
wine.  Yes there is a confusing double use of
taflwein.  However, all types of wine in Germany
are graded and given these adjectives and
appellation numbers to show that they have been
properly graded.

Taflwein means ordinary wine.
Qualitatswein means good wine.
Qualitatswein mit predikat means good wine with
distinction or extraordinary wine.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.