[Sca-cooks] Candied ginger?

kattratt kattratt at charter.net
Tue Apr 20 20:01:16 PDT 2004

      Crystallized Candied Ginger

---------------------------

2 C fresh ginger, peeled and sliced or chopped in about 1/4" pieces
Salt
4 C water
1 C sugar, plus extra for dipping

Put ginger in a small saucepan and add cold water to cover. Add a pinch
of salt
and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Then
drain the
ginger, rinse it under cold water, and drain it again. Repeat this
process three
more times. (That's what the book says!)

After three boil-rinse cycles, return ginger to saucepan, then add 4 C
water and
1 C sugar. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer slowly till syrup is
thick, about 1 1/4 hours.

Layer a cookie sheet with sugar to about 1/4 inch and lift out the slices of
ginger with a slotted spoon. Roll them around in the sugar to coat them
well,
then transfer to wire racks to cool and dry completely. If stored
airtight, the
ginger will keep for several months.

Source
http://www.recipegal.com/desserts/Crystallized-Candied-Ginger.htm

 ---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

       Title: CANDIED GINGER
  Categories: Candies
       Yield: 1 Servings

            -Claudia Kain XFVF35A
       1 c  Ginger Root
            -Peeled and thinly sliced
       1 c  Water
     1/2 c  Maple Syrup

   In a small saucepan stir together the ginger,water and maple syrup. Place
   over medium heat and simmer untill liquid is completely evaporated about 25
   to 30 minutes. Watch carefully during the last 10 minutes of cooking to
   prevent syrup from burning. Seperate pieces and place on a lightely greased
   cooking cooling rack .Dry in a 200 degree oven untill all syrup is absorbed
   and pieces snap when broken,about 2 hours. From Roldale Stocking up III
   cookbook. _____

Source

http://www.recipe-source.com/desserts/candy/04/rec0402.html

Hope that helps