[Sca-cooks] OOP: Kettle cakes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Apr 25 19:40:31 PDT 2004

Also sprach Alex Clark:
>I've found a few references (in _Adam Bede_ by George Eliot) to
>something called a kettle-cake. This term might be the next closest
>thing to Rowling's "Cauldron Cake". But I haven't found any recipes.
>Does anyone happen to know where there's a recipe for kettle-cake?
>It seems to be an archaism, so perhaps it might have been in
>cookbooks of the 18th or 19th century.

George Eliot (I forget her real name, and whenever I try to think of
it all I can remember is Edmund Blackadder's line about Jane Austen
being a huge Yorkshireman with a beard you could hide a badger in)
was a contemporary of people like Austen and Shelley (early 19th
century C.E. -- ya know: Regency), growing up in Warwickshire, which
is in the West Midlands of England. It's possible this is a regional
thing that never made it into a published cookbook.

I wonder if it'd turn out to be some kind of cloutie dumpling type
thing. There's nothing in Hannah Glasse; maybe Eliza Action? Or is
she too late? (Yes, I'm clutching at straws.)

Adamantius