[Sca-cooks] "Edible" Cinnamon Sticks

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 25 20:16:27 PDT 2004

Thebard wrote:

> Was helping a friend work up a few ideas on things to make head and keep
> on hand when planning feasts and whatnot.  She said something about
> seeing faux, edible cinnamon sticks once at a feast she went to but had
> no idea who made them or how they were made..  I'm never heard of such a
> thing, was wondering if anyone knew of a recipe?  Or at least had a good
> idea.
>
> She said that all she cold remember is that the looked like real (ie,
> soft, Mexican...) cinnamon and that said spice had to be one of the main
> ingredance because that's all she could taste.
>
> Thanks,
> James P.

In "Banquetting Stuffe", the section by Peter Breers "Rare Conceites
andStrange Delightes"references making these from sugar paste:

Cinnamon Sticks
Take Cinnamon and Ginger, of each a like quantity being finely searced,
mingle it with with your searced sugar, and Gum-tragacant steeped in
Rose-water, and work it into Past,...you may then turn it upon sticksmade of
peeces of arrowes, and make them hollow like cinnamon stickes...[A Closet
for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1611, p26]

Knead ground cinnamon and ginger in equal quantities into the sugar plate
until it is the color ofcinnamon, then roll itoutasthinly as possible,
dusting with further cinnamon to prevent sticking, and'turn itupon sticks
made ofpeeces of arrows, and make them hollow l;ike Cinamon stickes'

The article also mentions making walnuts, playing cards, eggs, fruits, and
plates, dishes, cups and such things, wherewith you may furnish a table.

Faerisa