[Sca-cooks] "Edible" Cinnamon Sticks

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 25 21:27:13 PDT 2004

On 25 Apr 2004, at 21:09, Thebard wrote:

> Was helping a friend work up a few ideas on things to make head and keep
> on hand when planning feasts and whatnot.  She said something about
> seeing faux, edible cinnamon sticks once at a feast she went to but had
> no idea who made them or how they were made..  I'm never heard of such a
> thing, was wondering if anyone knew of a recipe?  Or at least had a good
> idea.

In "Banquetting Stuffe", Peter Brears quotes a 1611 recipe for edible
cinnamon sticks.  It's sugar paste mixed with equal quantities of cinnamon
and ginger.  There's info in the Florilegium for making your own sugar paste,
or you could buy the powdered stuff.  The original recipe says to use pieces
of arrows to shape the cinnamon sticks.  I'd be inclined to buy a thin piece of
wood dowel at a craft store.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net