[Sca-cooks] "Edible" Cinnamon Sticks

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 06:14:21 PDT 2004

>Was helping a friend work up a few ideas on things to make head and keep on
>hand when planning feasts and whatnot.  She said something about seeing
>faux, edible cinnamon sticks once at a feast she went to but had no idea
>who made them or how they were made..  I'm never heard of such a thing, was
>wondering if anyone knew of a recipe?  Or at least had a good idea.
>
>She said that all she cold remember is that the looked like real (ie, soft,
>Mexican...) cinnamon and that said spice had to be one of the main
>ingredance because that's all she could taste.
>
>Thanks,
>James P.

Baroness Cordelia makes these fairly often and has given us instruction on
how she does it.  Even though the Breers gives the method of mixing the
sugarplate up with the gum tragicanth, who can afford to do that for the
masses.  For an A&S small batch yes, for a bunch, well, I'm not that rich.
We use the recipe calling for gelatin.  Mix equal parts of ginger and
cinnimon and lay-on fairly thickly the surface you intend to roll out the
sugarplate on, then roll out your s-plate turning over so as to coat both
sides well with the spice mix, adding more under the s-plate as needed.
After you have rolled the plate out thinly, cut into rectangles about 4 x 6
or smaller, then loosely roll two sides toward each other or one side all in
one direction (but if you do this don't make the strip so long, only a
couple inches or so).  Set aside for a small while to dry hard.  Easy as
pie.
Olwen