[Sca-cooks] KitchenAid 5-quart mixer

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 29 03:50:42 PDT 2004

I would be careful. There are several models of KitchenAid now, and the less
expensive one apparently has some quality-control problems. I don't know
this personally -- I have an ancient and honorable one -- but I did hear it
from someone who bought one and had to return it.

How much use you would get would depend a lot on what sort of stuff you
cook. We did use ours for sausage when we first started out, but quickly
upgraded to specialty equipment. The grinder attachment is fine for small
quantities, but the motor heats up when doing more than a couple of pounds.
The stuffer is very awkward to use because it is a foot or so in the air,
and you have to rig a stuffer-level tray to avoid dangly stretchy sausage.

I do use the stand mixer for a few things, but I get far more use out of my
hand mixer -- KitchenAid digital 9-speed, top of the line, but still a lot
less $$$ than even this sale price.

Cynara