[Sca-cooks] OOP: Kettle cakes

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Thu Apr 29 09:47:55 PDT 2004

At 09:02 AM 4/28/2004 -0400, Sharon wrote:
>***I asked about this on a modern UK email list and got some somewhat modern
>recipes.  To take them back a bit, I'd consider substituting the margarine
>with butter.  Not sure what to substitute for the self-raising flour.  And
>I'll ask about the ingredients in the mixed spice.
>
>***Here's the 3 answers I've gotten so far.
>************************
>A Kettle Cake may have been a boiled fruit cake. I have a recipe where you
>boil all the ingredients in a pan, then add flour and eggs before putting
>everything in a cake tin and cooking in the oven.
>Pat.
>****************************
>Author:  Elaine Ball, Copper Kettle, Ludlow
>
>No of Servings: 9+ Cooking Time: Over 60 mins
>Meal  Course: Any Course
>
>Ingredients
>
>1  cup currants
>1 cup sultanas
>1 cup soft brown sugar
>1 cup  water
>3 oz margarine
>2 eggs
>2 cups self raising flour
>mixed  spice
>Method
>
>Put fruit, sugar, margarine and water into saucepan. Boil gently.
>Let it cool. Add flour, eggs and mixed spice, place in lined and  greased
>tin. Bake slowly for about 1 - 1 ½ hours. Enjoy!
>Courtesy of Lesley Mackley, Recipes from _Ludlow Marches Food & Drink
>Festival_ (http://www.foodfestival.co.uk/)

Thanks.

I couldn't find recipes on this site, so I don't yet know -- was this
recipe originally called kettle-cake, or was it posted in response to the
description in the previous post of something that just might turn out to
be a kettle-cake?

For self-raising flour, I would substitute yeast and time -- but not a long
time for something this soft and sugary.

However, none of these recipes would be suitable for serving a stack or
pile to a small group as is usual on the Hogwarts Express, and they're a
bit large for Ron to smash one in his handses. So they probably aren't the
same kind of food.

--
Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon