[Sca-cooks] Re: 50's vs '70s

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 29 15:13:24 PDT 2004

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>At 01:54 PM 4/29/2004, you wrote:
>>Also sprach Devra at aol.com:
>>>I would never dream of arguing with you, Master Adamantius, but during the
>>>late '60s adn 'early '70s I was deeply involved with that weird guy with the
>>>pointy ears, and the other guy who breathed funny,
>>
>>Jack Palance???
>
>Gosh, I though she meant Merv Griffin! ;-)

Originally I was thinking Bebe Rebozo, but then I got this image
of... "Beleeeeeeve itttt... --SHAAAAAAAHHHHHH--... orrr NOTTTTT..."

><snip>
>>  we have that cultural mire of big sideburns, platform shoes, leisure suits,
>
>My dad had a *baby blue* one. <shudder>

MIne was too old. Thank God.

>>   And apart from that, nuthin'. I think the Yankees won one World
>>Series in that time before Steinchthulhu bought them and they
>>became officially evil. Actually they were merely increasingly
>>disturbing until 2000, at which time they became officially evil.
>
>Aw, Master A, tell us how you *really* feel about the Yankees...

That was the revised, politically correct version of what I
originally wrote. I do think, though, this is going to be the last
official year of The Curse Of Mike Piazza. The concept of
Steinchthulhu, though, is a big hit among a small but vocal group on
alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets . Think about it... the NY Yankees owned
by a supremely evil, giant, drooling-idiot, octopus-headed man-eating
toad from another dimension. It explains a lot, doesn't it?

>>In general, though, the mid-70's doesn't seem to hold a lot for our
>>culture to be proud of, comparted to some other decades.
>
>Barney Miller. Some of the best TV ever. And then there was... uh...
>no... uh... er...um...

QED. Add The Sting, The Godfather, The French Connection, Blazing
Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and a few others.

>OFC-
>remember-
>
>the pudding with the crunchy chocolate coating?

Eeee-ew. No.

>flavored (chocolate, vanilla, caramel) peanut butter?

Vaguely.

>the soups touted by Ann Miller?

Nope.

>"Is it soup yet?"
>"Choosy mothers choose Jif!"

Unfortunately.

>the cake sold with everything-including the pan? ('Stir & Frost'?)

This is a dark, dark road you're taking me down...

A.