[Sca-cooks] Re: 50's vs '70s

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Apr 29 17:58:56 PDT 2004

At 05:36 PM 4/29/2004, you wrote:
>Well, I remember my dad (the tech-gadget junkie) bringing home one of the
>first commercial microwaves, when I was in high school, so definitely
>pre-1968. Amana RadaRange, I think it was called.

My dad was a tinfoil-hat type, and thought that microwaves were exuding
radiation, and flouride was a Communist plot, etc etc etc.

>I do remember that we weren't afraid of food.

Yay! food was good!

>  Granted there was some pretty
>bad food, but I also remember helping make ice cream in a hand cranked
>freezer, all the kids taking turns, and nobody screaming about fat or carbs.
>And Trix, raspberry red, lemon yellow, and orange orange. I loved it, and
>probably still would if it was still round and just three colors. It turned
>the milk such a lovely color ...

Yes! None of those pernicious berry-flavored things. They're just _wrong_.
So are all of the additions to Lucky Charms!

>And doesn't the '64 Mustang kind of balance the bad bell bottoms?

The neighbor across the street has one. Bright red. Takes very good care of
it too. Regina and I look at it with envy... until we remember that our
cars get better mileage and hold more stuff... but still it *looks* cool... ;-)

'Lainie

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918