[Sca-cooks] 50's vs '70s

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 29 19:09:32 PDT 2004

Master A. wrote:
>The thing is, it was basically still the
>sixties until at least 1972 or 3.

This can be disputed, but i'm really not trying to aid and abet this
thread, so i won't get into it here.

>In between that and the awful era
>of disco, doubleknit polyester suits

Ee-yuw - men in white suits, shirts that were insufficiently buttoned
up, gold colored medallions hanging in too much visible chest hair,
white plastic platform shoes....

I will confess that i actually learned to do the Hustle while working
evenings in an up-scale arty craft gallery from my co-workers, but i
never danced it in a club.

>and epidemic cocaine abuse,

I knew some very paranoid coke users in the early 70s. When they
started to show me their gun collections, it was time to remember a
very pressing appointment somewhere else far away. Out here in
California they tended to dress like a romanticized version of
cowboys.

>...we
>have that cultural mire of big sideburns, platform shoes,

I wore platform shoes and liked them in the late 60s - well before
they were an abused fashion item in the US - they were European
imports - and they went well with my retro 30s and 40s dresses and
suits.

>...leisure
>suits, huge bell-bottoms, terrible sitcoms

Has there ever been an era of wonderful sitcoms? I couldn't stand
listening to Lucy screaming in the 1950s, already! Sitcoms don't seem
to me to have improved or deteriorated too much. They have always,
uh, stunk... When i accidentally watch some "Golden Era" sitcoms on
some nostalgic TV show these days, they make me feel as uncomfortable
as the ones on TV right now.

>and about five excellent
>movies. And apart from that, nuthin'.

What! You don't like Funk?!?! I LOVE FUNK! Long live
Parliament-Funkadelics and the Muthah ship! George Duke! Bootsy
Collins! Jungle Boogie! Get down, get down! Roller Coaster! Roll up
roll up!

OB FOOD CONTENT: The second half of the 70s was when i ate masses of
very spicy Thai food in Los Angeles.

Anahita
Who figures that if we in the SCA often mush 50 years of a
Medieval/Renaissance century together, just imagine mashing together
the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s and figuring that if the style of
food is only, say 25 years apart, then there really isn't a
significant difference...

I never ate a tuna-noodle casserole until around 1975 or 76 - and i
haven't eaten one since then either.