[Sca-cooks] Re: 50's vs '70s

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 29 20:16:51 PDT 2004

Cynara mentioned:
> Well, I remember my dad (the tech-gadget junkie) bringing home one of
> the first commercial microwaves, when I was in high school, so
> definitely
> pre-1968. Amana RadaRange, I think it was called. The only thing we
> ever
> used it for was defrosting bread. Well, yes, er, we did try the "baked"
> potato just to see if it worked. Snicker.
Are you snickering about the Amana oven or cooking a potato in them?

I bought an Amana RadaRange when I graduated from university in 1982.
And other than having to get it fixed in the first month (under
warranty) it kept working and working until about a year ago. The new
one, a Sharp Carousel, has more settings and programming and a turn
table, but it is often more difficult to set. And every so often it
starts sparking and something inside the electronics area starts
burning. I blow out the flame and go on. But somehow I don't think *it*
is going to last 21 years, like the Amana.

Stefan
(And yes, I have cooked potatoes in the Amana. Not quite as good as the
oven, but much, much quicker)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com