[Sca-cooks] Re: 50's vs '70s

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 30 07:53:18 PDT 2004

>> WKRP in Cincinnati. The Muppet Show. Taxi. MASH.
>> Saturday Night Live. To name a few comedies.
>

> I forgot about MASH. *hangs head in shame*

My pop did some writing for that show.  As the series ran longer than
the actual war did, the producers put the word out in the Writers Guild
for veterans to submit their real experiences.  The x-ray technician
with the only photo darkroom for many miles around developing pictures
taken in the nurses' shower, yup, that was him!

>> Columbo. The Waltons. It Takes a Thief.  Streets
>> of San Francisco. The Rockford Files.  To name
>> a few dramas.
>

> Streets of San Francisco was a drama? ;-)

Well it wasn't a comedy.  Intentionally anyway.

>>  Monty Python and the
>> Holy Grail (1975), Star Wars (1977),
>

> *very sorrowful face. Can I ever be forgiven?*

Two of the major influences on the SCA, gee I dunno.

A peeress of my occasion tells the story of how, when she first joined
the SCA, she had not seen Monty P & the Holy G.  By the time she got
around to it a couple of years later, she realized that she had heard
Every Line In The Film quoted at some SCA event or other.

>> And for some food trivia, name these 1970's food
>> commercials:
>>
>> 2) "Today the pits, tomorrow the wrinkles."
>

> ?

California Prunes.  One of the award-winning ad campaigns by
comedian/adman Stan Freberg.

>> 5) "Sorry, Charlie!"
>

> Chicken-of-the-Sea tuna

I tended to think of this as a 60's ad campaign.  Voiced by Herschel
Bernardi.

>> 6) "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature"
>

> Margarine... Parkay?

Chiffon.

>> 8) "You get a big delight in every bite..."
>

> Oh god... candy bar, I think. But which one?

Hostess Twinkie

>> 10) "If you believe in peanut butter, clap your
>> hands"
>

> Skippy?

That had to be Peter Pan;  think of the stage play.

> Remember the Burlington commercial with the lines weaving back and
> forth across the screen? I thought that was cool. And the original
> campaign for Leggs hose was pretty fun too.

I would rather have played with the plastic egg they came in.  Still
would, probably;  stockings fear me, they spontaneously run as soon as I
put them on.

1950's medieval vs. 70's medieval;
50's:  "Thou Swell"  green tights, gold lame with darts
70's:  "I'm not dead yet"  too much scuzz and dirt to tell if costuming
is good or bad
Next?

Selene C.