[Sca-cooks] Egg and lemon soups, question

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 3 12:31:42 PDT 2004

I had a very stubborn craving over the weekend, so when I saw lamb necks on sale at my local food store, I grabbed them. The objective: making lamb broth so I could make a Greek-style soup. I boiled the necks, skimmed the foam, cooled the broth down, skimmed the excess fat, minced the meat I got off the necks and returned it to the pot with salt, pepper, and fresh dill. I threw in some rice and spinach. Then I took the juice of three lemons, mixed it with two beaten eggs, and threw it into the pot, stirring rapidly.

The soup tastes great although it is really more a stew; a little too much rice, but easily fixed next time. A few egg-white strands showed up when I stirred in the egg/lemon mixture, and I was wondering how that can be prevented. Should I only have been using the yolks instead of whole eggs?

And also, is this style of soup (lamb or chicken-broth based, egg and lemon) in period for Greece or the Meditteranean?

Gianotta